Jeremy W. Katz focuses his practice on bankruptcy, insolvency and reorganization law, bankruptcy- related litigation, and secured transactions. He represents creditors, bankruptcy trustees, and business debtors. Mr. Katz has experience litigating preference and fraudulent conveyance actions, motions for relief from the automatic stay, contested cash collateral hearings, objections to plans of reorganization, objections to proofs of claim, and removal and remand motions.
Mr. Katz has been practicing in this area of law since 1988, and has acquired extensive experience before all Bay Area and most California Bankruptcy Courts. He has represented commercial landlords in business bankruptcies and clients in bankruptcy sales of real and personal property, including intellectual property. Mr. Katz also counsels distressed business.
- Successful representation of the bankruptcy trustee of Read-Rite Corporation, whose assets were sold for more than $87 million in one of the largest chapter 7 cases ever filed.
- Successful representation of a Bay Area appliance store in its chapter 11 reorganization.
- Successful representation of a Napa Valley winery in its chapter 11 reorganization.
- Successful representation of three motel franchises in the Sacramento area in their chapter 11 reorganization.
- One of several counsel who represented a national trucking company in its chapter 11 reorganization.
- University of California, Berkeley (B.A., with distinction, 1975, Spanish major. Junior year abroad, Barcelona, Spain, 1973-1974)
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (M.A. 1977, Romance Languages and Literatures: Spanish)
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law (J.D. 1985, associate note editor Hastings International and Comparative Law Review 1984-1985)
Admissions & Courts
- All courts in the State of California
- Supreme Court of the United States
- California State Bar
- Iowa State Bar Association (inactive member)
- Bar Association of San Francisco (Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section)
- Alameda County Bar Association
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees
- Bay Area Bankruptcy Forum (former member Board of Directors)
Published Articles and Press Coverage
“Western Digital Gets Read-Rite”
TheDeal.com, July 24, 2003
“Construction Contracts and Bankruptcy: The Ultimate in ‘Value Engineering’”
ProNet Practice Notes, Vol. 14, No.1, July 2002